Hearing aids can help you reconnect with loved ones and improve your relationships. Everything from video calling with your grandkids to enjoying dinner out with your spouse at Locavino becomes easier from your improved ability to follow conversations and communicate with others.
However, there are ways to enhance your ability to navigate social situations even further by following these communication tips in addition to using your hearing aids.
Improving Communication With Hearing Aids
- Be open about your hearing loss. One of the many benefits of hearing aids is that today’s models are so small and sleek that many people might not even notice you’re wearing them. However, when communicating with someone, it’s important to let them know that you do have hearing loss and use hearing aids. While it may feel awkward, it will make conversation easier for both parties and help to reduce potential misunderstandings.
- Utilize effective communication strategies. Being open about your hearing loss offers a perfect opening to discuss what communication strategies are most helpful for you. This can include things like asking a person to look directly at you when they speak or to make sure they have your attention before they start talking.
- Choose optimal listening environments. We don’t always get to choose the location of meetups or events, but when you do get the opportunity, opt for quieter places with good lighting to help facilitate easier communication.
- Use hearing aid accessories. Accessories like remote microphones or streaming with Bluetooth™ can help you hear better in any environment, including busy restaurants, work conventions or while on phone calls.
- Aural rehabilitation. Aural rehabilitation strategies like working with a speech therapist or attending classes for people with hearing loss to improve communication have shown to be very helpful. A systematic review of these types of programs found that aural rehabilitation is very effective at providing a “short-term reduction in self-perception of hearing handicap and potentially better use of communication strategies and hearing aids.”
The Importance of Staying Connected
By pairing hearing aids with communication tips, it maximizes your ability to stay connected to your loved ones and better experience the world around you. Being able to socialize isn’t just something we do for fun—it actually benefits our health and improves our quality of life, as well.
For more information or to schedule an appointment with a hearing expert, call Hearing Center Silver Spring today.