Did you know that close to 28.8 million U.S. adults could benefit from using hearing aids?
Perhaps you are one of them and have recently decided to treat your hearing loss with hearing aids. If so, congratulations on taking such an essential step in valuing your hearing health!
Hearing aids help you process sound and make listening easier in so many different situations. However, one of the few times it’s a good idea not to wear your hearing aids is when you are sleeping.
Why It’s Important to Take Your Hearing Aids Out When You Sleep
- Your ears need to breathe while you sleep and have time for earwax to make its way out of the ear unobstructed.
- Your hearing aids need to be cleaned nightly to prevent sweat, earwax, dirt and other debris from collecting and building up on them, leading to damage. Make sure to wipe them down with a soft, dry cloth or soft-bristled brush and store them in a cool, dry place for the night. If they are rechargeable, plug them into their charger before bed.
- Hearing aids are not comfortable to sleep in as the materials are harder and, depending on your sleep position, can press into your skin and cause discomfort.
- If the microphone in your hearing aids rubs against a pillow, it can create a scratchy sound or high-pitched whistling, known as feedback. This can wake you up in the night and prevent both you and your partner from getting a good night’s rest.
Are There Other Times I Shouldn’t Wear Hearing Aids?
Hearing aids are not waterproof, which means you should make sure to take them out any time you are showering, taking a bath or going for a swim. Being submerged in water can damage your device and cause it to malfunction.
How Hearing Aids Can Help You Navigate Your Daily Life
While there are a few scenarios where it’s best to take out your hearing aids, in general, wearing them consistently will help maximize your hearing and get the most out of your device. Hearing aids can help you:
- Follow along during a work meeting.
- Listen to your favorite music at home with your spouse.
- Enjoy catching up with an old friend over Zoom.
- Sharing your thoughts at your monthly book club meeting.
- Have a relaxing and engaging family dinner out at The Daily Dish.
To enjoy these and the many more benefits of hearing aids, call the experts at Hearing Center Silver Spring and schedule an appointment today.