Are you one of the 7.1% of adults aged 45 and over who uses a hearing aid, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention? If so, you’re probably wondering what you can do to make your hearing aids last a long time. One of the best ways, second only to daily cleanings, is to invest in a hearing aid dry-box to store your hearing aids in when you’re not wearing them. In this post, we review more about hearing aid dry-boxes.
What Do Hearing Aid Dry-Boxes Do?
There are two types of hearing aid dry-boxes. Both extract moisture from your hearing aids, but they do so in different ways.
- Regular dry-boxes have just one job: to extract moisture. They are able to do this because they use a desiccant. A desiccant contains beads or capsules that pull moisture away from the delicate technology within your devices, the same way rice does if you submerge your phone in it after it gets dropped in water.
- UV dry-boxes have two jobs: both drying and sanitizing your hearing aids. Rather than using a desiccant, they use gentle heat to dry and UV-C light to sanitize against germs, bacteria and viruses. These dry-boxes are best for people who work in unsanitary conditions and those who produce a lot of sweat and earwax.
Do I Still Need to Clean My Hearing Aids if I Have a UV Dry-Box?
You absolutely still need to clean your hearing aids at the end of each day, even if you have a UV dry-box. Sanitizing against germs and cleaning off debris are not the same thing. UV Dry-boxes are supplements to regular cleanings, not a replacement.
To clean your hearing aids:
- First wipe them down with a soft, dry, clean cloth.
- Then, use a wax pick/wire loop to scrape off any stubborn debris.
- Next, open the battery door and brush out the compartment.
- If your hearing aids have tubing, detach it and wash it in warm, soapy water. Make sure it’s completely dry before reattaching.
Once you have finished these steps, put your hearings aids in your dry-box overnight.
Where Can I Get a Hearing Aid Dry-Box?
Visit your local department store to talk to a sales representative about what dry-boxes they have available and which one would best suit your needs. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call Hearing Center Silver Spring today.